Tuesday, August 18, 2015

[KNK] Chapter X1 - Before the Final Breath

As of 9-11-2015, This chapter's title is changed to current title from "Prologue 1".
Also moved the chapter's OLD change-notes to the bottom of the post.

prevA/N | synopsis & index |  next

Vampires have red eyes. Demons also have red eyes. These descriptions are probably just stereotyping, but he being a demon never crossed my mind. It might be because I strongly preferred to see a vampire than a demon that time that the other possibility was easily put aside. I have no need for a demon; I have no need for a vampire either, but even now I think that meeting a vampire would be more fun that meeting a demon? I feel bad for ‘white’ demons but in my mind they’re all no good even with blood contracts.

Judgement Day.

I insisted that I wear the clothes I wore when I first came here. If I am to die, I should die in those clothes. Over it they made me wear some sort of a cloak, not to hide my impudence of appearing in my normal clothes, but to allow my selfishness while ensuring I wouldn’t receive any more antagonism.

I slept on the way, woke up halfway, and started listening to the music in my smartphone. I tried to emulate the state I was in before all this began. Pity, this is the middle of the night; unlike that time, I wasn’t able to pick out the colors of the dawning clouds. The breeze, I can also feel only on my face, through the open window of the car as it dashed through the highway.

My face is lax, and my eyes, half-lidded. I’m not about to spend energy for anything else than standing and maybe actually listening to their words, for I have prepared myself for the most likely uneventful possibilities that’s about to happen. All the time, my eyes were either unfocused or looking straight down.

Death is one thing – but what I fear are the possibilities that would come before that. I can’t decipher how deep the darkness lie within those looks in their eyes.

I could entertain myself further by commenting about this and that… the design and the atmosphere of the surroundings… fang-kin and the unidentifiable ones…, while enduring this farce of a ‘trial’, but I must stop, lest be careful. There is this danger of accidentally spilling all the mental smirks.

The last thing I must not do, with my neck already within their grasps, is to provoke them to do something worse. I am not afraid of death, but of pain. For while I could only imagine it, I know,… there is pain worse than death. So much, so much, so much that you’d rather sell your soul!

The wind blows and knocks at the glass doors.

“The investigation results indicate that this human is unqualified as an agent. Immediate disposal is recommended.” I pause my musings and turn my head towards the lawyer-sounding man with rectangular eyeglasses. A fang-kin.

Hou. As expected, as expected.

I’d never understand what makes a qualified agent, no one bothered to tell, but I have nothing to retort about. About being disposed of, that’s just as expected. Regardless of the difference of their ‘investigation results’ and my evaluation of this self, this is as expected. I had to fear still what exactly the word ‘disposal’ had meant.

I tilt down my head back and continue facing downwards once more.

The last sight before the final breath. Where ought I look?

Dare I face the ceiling, I would be exposing my neck. I don’t want them to interpret this as a false signal from me meaning “Here, please take my neck.”

I need not raise my sight, or look up, to keep tears falling; I am quite calm. The view there I remember is horrible, with the webbing the likes of a horror movie – in the off chance that a large spider lands on my face, …

All corners of the court are littered with beasts; I rather lower my head back to this position – the floor isn’t polished, but the blue swirls and intricate fractal design is still pretty.

prevA/N | synopsis & index |  next

OLD, OUTDATED CHAPTER CHANGE-NOTES:
Its Prologue-1 because there will be a -2, and maybe -5 or so.


If you happen to notice this might be long for a prologue, and wonder why this is a prologue instead of a chapter... its because its a scene that will happen far, maybe 50k-100k words far from chapter 1, and might be the shorter version of a volume 2 which content only expounds on the prologue, that the volume 2 itself may as well be called "prologue extended."


For some unknown reason, I'm compelled to provide a prologue - If anything, you can just treat this a chapter zero or whatever. Doesn't really matter.


 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management