Thursday, September 5, 2013

Java: CRUD Customer DB

WARNING: This post is unfinished.

This is a log of stuck-ups I when through *sobs* while trying to cram-learn-program a database(RDBMS) with the sample in Netbeans.

The whole thing is named CRUD Customer DB. There were bugs here and there- people who don't bother to try hard to solve the problems will get stuck- like me. This is a log for the future; I'm thinking of removing and re-installing everything Java in my system, so I'll be needing notes.


The requirements won't be discussed.
Maybe later, when I finally get to re-install everything.


Disclaimer: I'm not sure of everything here.

- JDK 6 or 7. JDK7
- javadb (derby)
- NetBeans IDE 7.3.1 (is what I'm using)

1. This is for Java Database beginners. This is particularly useful for people who wants a crash-course(?) to learn Create, Read, Update, and Delete with Java DB.
Follow the steps in here: https://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/nbm-crud.html
2. You'll be asked to view the project. In that particular item, you'd be suggested to view Favorites or ctrl+3. I don't fancy the favorites list. When I viewed it, it didn't show me what I wanted to see; I'm assuming it didn't classify this project to a favorite - note that I do not know how that favorites work. Just view your projects from the sidebar. You'll see it there. On to the Build part.
3. Right-click and build the project, the one with the coffee cup logo.
4. Run. You're not supposed to Run the one you just built. Look at the screenshots properly.
If you try to run the project (coffee), you'll get an error saying there's no main().
5. After running, there'd be a splashscreen, then you might get an error saying: com.netbeans.autoupdates.services was needed and not found. Click disable modules (not the exit).
According to what I've read here: https://netbeans.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=219556, you're supposed to disable two modules. They've provided instructions, but I figured that the button (disable) would do the trick.
6. The I encountered another problem:
A java.lang.IllegalArgumentException exception has occurred.
Click Show Details or see the messages.log file located in your D:\CRUDTrial\build\testuserdir\var\log folder.
The bug reports led me here: https://netbeans.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=75226
...currently finding solution for the exception.
...



 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management