Saturday, August 31, 2013

A Gamer's Save File

A certain save file was lost; and another file with my game's name had overwritten it.
The thing is, the game only asked once where to save my file. Players don't really have the option of saving the file into another slot- much more, overwrite another file.

Unfortunately for me, the victim won't try to understand. I mean, how can it be possibly my fault? When players save their files, the players only choose to save or not to save, and not have the choice to save over a different slot. Its been a long time, and I have been allowed to play the game again after that incident, so I thought the issue was over, but I was wrong.

Leaving for school, I left the PSP out in plain sight. Its not hard to miss since it's yellow. It wasn't mine or his, but our older cousin's. It was just being lent out to him. I thought it was fine to leave it there, and not hide it in my hiding place, since I'd only be gone for around 30 mins. When I got back, he was casually playing my save file.

There wasn't much of a shock the first time I realized it was my save file; But then I realized that act's effects and implications.

He was sitting by the door, on the sofa, comfortably. I knew something's wrong with him holding it again, since he said he won't play that game anymore since his file got deleted. Note that it was the only game in there that time. So I hurriedly took a glance on the screen. It was the same game I was playing. Ah, did he finally decide to play that game again?
gp
I left his side and headed to the room to drop my bag, thinking it was another save file. Not long after, he asked me, "Why are your characters so weak?" Huh? My characters? What the hell are you doing with my characters? He was playing my save file, quite casually too, like playing other people's save file,  is normal.

Raise the cold war flag!

I immediately asked him to stop. I know that asking him to stop is too late, since the game auto-saves, but regardless, I don't want him to continue what he's doing. "Why are you playing my file? Stop it!" I don't really remember my exact words. My mind was on chaos back then. The words didn't register to my memory. I just want him to stop.

"Huh? Why? I can't play my own characters since you deleted them!" I was speechless. I retaliated for a short while, and then gave up and left. I said something but I can't remember what it is too. I just remember I'm defending myself over that accusation since he's bringing it up again.

It was unfair.

One, I am certainly not at fault. Whatever happened, I am not sure, but I don't remember overwriting his save file. Is that even possible?

Two, even if I'm the one at fault for having his save file deleted, that incident doesn't neutralize what he just did.

Why can't he just start a new game? I'm guessing he already played 60 or maybe more hours of that game, but that shouldn't matter much. After all, it's just 60 hours. I highly doubt there'd be much achievements and irreplaceable items in his file, since I already played around 40 hours, and I know that the game don't just give out rare rewards. Item granting is pretty simplistic, and everything's bound to the storyline. One could just get those items again by running through the storyline.

He actually played my save file.

I gave up in stopping him from playing my game since who knows when he started playing it? Since the game auto-saves and all, some characters would've gotten XP, items, or whatever, even if he doesn't save. I don't really mind him playing my save files, but what I can't accept is that the file isn't just mine anymore. What he did made my efforts amount to nothing, nothing at all! How then could I possibly be genuinely proud of finishing that game, when the effort is not mine alone?

If I were to make a reference, this is Sephiroth unnecessarily involving himself with, meddling, and claiming to have something to do with events concerning Cloud Strife. God! Sephiroth! Just stay away and get your own life! (Yeah, I just finished that certain cut scene; No I'm not mentioning the game title.) Somehow, this compares to what I feel. A few days ago, I was laughing at Cloud's character, but even laughable characters could always do on their own, not needing anybody's meddling.

I admit that I am not so intent on finishing the game since it's impossible for me in terms of time and effort, but the little progress I get after defeating the enemies, strong or weak ones, are something I am proud of. Now I just don't care about that save file anymore.

I also dropped the thought that I could somehow hope to finish at least one game while the PSP is still with us.
I'm still a little angry, but I guess I could get over this soon. I'd just delete that save file later.

He might be thinking its okay to play my save file because I deleted his save file, or because its acceptable, normal, or not something that deserves consideration. Either ways, his way or thinking is flawed. NOT THAT I CARE! Well I actually care, but since its over a game, it should be fine to let this pass. I've always been thinking about how these kind of things are the only ones he's interested in doing. Its one of the few he'd find interesting and involve himself with, so just give it to him. Yeah, me and my high horse.

My respect for him as a fellow gamer is now all gone. I'm on a cold-war now and on a opinion-resetting/modifying-spree about him.
Now I'm convinced that playing games on consoles you do not exclusively own, is pointless.

I'm just glad and thankful I had a chance to learn the game's systems, which is what i'm generally after, and my reason in playing such games.

Keep yourself from feeling too much for mere save files.
It not good to spend so much energy for something so trivial. (Personality flaws of younger relatives are a different story though, since you can change them and influence their lives. If you want a chance to hit them in the face, get some training first.)
Another note to myself.

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management