Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Third World Problems: News, Weather, and Traffic Updates

I've been increasing the number of accounts that I follow on Twitter since I had my account. It didn't have much impact on me until now since I only get to view their posts on my netbook; I didn't know they're just on a spamming spree. I mean, what's this? They're tweeting at light-speed, and the intervals don't leave any time to breath!

Every time I click on the 'new tweet' link to display the newest ones, I'd have to click on them again after who knows, one or two seconds.

I appreciate their efforts, I really do. Our country has been hot on trail on issues with the government, transparency, etc., and it makes me happy to know that there are efforts for change. People haven't lost hope, and if anything, they've become more aware and more active in watching the government. However, I believe they're doing their reports in the wrong, not to mention, annoying, way.

It's a problem the third world doesn't realize. I don't know how things go with the higher worlds, but I just know they're using this technology wrong. Twitter shouldn't be used this way. No, they should just build an independent system to relay information.

I've just unfollowed most of the news, weather, and traffic accounts on Twitter. I just can't process the feeds I'm receiving from them. Instead of appreciating their efforts, I might start to hate them for doing their work.

What exactly is the problem here?
Sure, them doing it on Twitter makes it easier for the net-people to access their feeds. It's just that, not all their feeds are what I want; Not all their feeds are important. To be frank, I don't really have a care about what happens outside my neighborhood. I do care about this country and its people, but I don't really wish to hear everything about it. The thing is, I don't have a choice.

The way they're doing things, they leave people without a choice.
They post everything in their channel. And since a lot happens every second, the news come and go. I want the option to see just what I wanted to see, and nothing more. I could always unfollow them so I won't need to deal with the reports I am not interested in, but then I won't be able to see the other reports that I may be interested in, or that I need.

I really rather unfollow them since the majority of their posts are not what I want to see. So I did.

I know I am being demanding here, but I don't think I'm being reasonable. It's just natural for people to complain; I am not complaining, really, I am just writing this to make the point, to point out the problem.

Instead of using social media accounts to serve out the information to people (whether they like it or not), possibly annoying them and thus result in people just turning away from the service (like I did, in unfollowing them), they should just make a system that would process queries on demand.

It should be a unified system where people get to customize their feeds according to their interests, location, and demand. The networks and the groups who are interested in publishing reports would then relay their topics to people through this system; where only the ones interested would receive the content. Isn't it a good way to deliver information? Individuals could make a profit out of it. It's like a magazine subscription, only everything is digitized, which is more convenient as we won't be needing papers, printing, and storage space for them.

Here comes the third world problem. I believe we don't have technologies for that. I mean, the weather department already have issues on their employee numbers, haven't they? There just isn't enough scientists in this country to create and maintain such a system. Its probably a side-effect of the general view to our people. It'd also be hard to protect it from hackers' attacks. They could hire Filipino hackers to protect the system, but I doubt they'll reveal themselves. The government should offer them life-time protection deal or something, but they might be used to attack other countries, which aftermath could be scary.

 We're pretty laid back. I myself do not wish to take up important roles, and just be an observer on the side. Is there a post in the government where all I need to do is comment on things and think up of ideas? If there is, I'd do it even without pay. I could only be a support-type here-

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management